Thursday 11 November 2010

Building a wind harp.

Post No.9

I looked on tinternet about these harps, they are called Aeolian Harps and they play by themselves in the wind. There is information on how to make them, so I tried it out.
............................................................................The examples shown in pictures on the internet  use these little threaded pegs to tension the wires? These are like the things on a sitar or something! I don’t have access to those, so I figured guitar machine heads are available, and they would do.



It was easy enough to build a box, but I made a lot of modifications with the lid and the wires and placement of the machine heads. It became quite complex.


The main problem I had was that when I tightened the strings, the high tension bent the ends towards each other. Lifting and splitting the layers of plywood apart. I had to attach extra wood so as to be able to screw the top of the box down more firmly.
Then it was ready to try out! It does work, but is inclined to work better upside down. This is something I am unable to explain? It is also rather camera shy, or should I say video shy.


Video is not my strong suit and I am unable to even get the pictures out of my video camera into the computer. I have another camera which also takes videos as well, and I have had a lot more success with that. The next and probably last post from the ‘Little Blue Hut’ I hope to post a video of it working.

No comments:

Post a Comment