Thursday 11 November 2010

The Last Post

Post No.10
I have often worked outside on the street, painting a mural or installing a mosaic. Often spoken with the general public while I’m doing it, and not been shy to talk about art, or even why I have made it, until I videoed my wind harp on the sea front car park the other day?
I could see a number of people sitting in their cars watching me take the wind harp out of the boot and tart about trying to take videos of it balancing on the railings....in the rain as well.
I really hoped they were people I did not know.
Yet I am comfortable enough to post this nonsense out on the internet? I was actually dreading someone coming up and saying,
 ‘What you doing’
‘Making a video of a wind harp I made playing in the wind’
‘Why are you doing that then?’
‘Because I wanted to post it on a video hosting site’
‘Why did you make it’
‘Because I invented a little storey about the wind as the creator of everything, and I thought I might be able to make the wind make music as well’.
‘Keep taking the tablets fella’.
I am happy with people I don’t know, knowing I made this wind harp. I don’t mind people who know what I do for a living knowing that I made this wind harp. But if people across the road or people who work in the co-op knew I am embarrassed as I don’t know what their reaction to it is?
The resulting video is actually rubbish as well.
I spent a day or more editing a nice 40 second video with nice transitions and everything, but I could not save it in a file type that video hosting sites are able to upload? So you can only see the raw unedited clip which I can’t even rotate the right way up. Very frustrating.

I attached the harp to the side of the little blue hut and I waited a while............... and it played.






Views of the Little Blue Hut




3 comments:

  1. You describe just how I feel before I make my labyrinths on the beach . It is quite a liberating feeling once you break through it ...I think it must be doing me some good ,in some way ! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ! Sorry ,I nearly forgot ... I was thinking of making a wind harp. Mine wont be as good as yours since I have no carpentry skills what so ever . I like your Art Work too by the way . : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words....... and making art does expose you and what your thoughts are. But you have to do it and I'm glad that people write plays, play music and act in films etc so its all the same really.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete